Song’s list-with a twist:
Re-Search performed on my favourite cinema blogs proves that the posts attracting most views and hence comments are those relating to travelogues or song’s list. Taking cue from these senior bloggers and since I haven’t gone anywhere in a while, I decided to do a song’s list of my own.
However, these blogs also cover most of the ground in Hindi film songs, I thought to give a little twist to the list.
Marathi songs by Hindi singers:
All the prominent and favourite singers of the golden era are vastly known for their Hindi songs. But almost all of them have sung in various other languages (Indian and sometimes foreign). But as I only know Marathi (besides Hindi & English), I will stick to it.
And unless otherwise specifically mentioned for reasons provided herein, I have not included songs by Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhonsle & Suman Kalyanpur.
A small explanation:
I have not posted any songs list yet. The one on children’s songs was actually not difficult. This one I therefore consider my first proper songs list. I have not posted anything since over a month. This one too kept getting delayed for some reason or other. It was not coming out as I wanted it too. Since the songs are in Marathi, there comes the restriction of language. I therefore wanted to make it quite nice, giving a description of the songs or there situation etc.
However, it was just getting more delayed in the process. That way it would probably never get published. For now therefore I am sticking only to linking the songs themselves. The lyrics are linked with the heading of the song, in case one wants. And in case the playback of videos on other sites is disabled, the YouTube links have been provided below them.
As for the descriptions, I will try to update as soon as possible.
And now, without further ado- Let’s plunge into the list.
1. GEETA DUTT:
I found about three songs, all non-film, sung by Geeta Dutt in Marathi. This is a “jogwa”– a form of prayer offered to Goddess Amba. Lyrics: Anant Gogte. Music: Nishikant Bharti.
You can find the other two songs here:
1. Jaa Sang Laxmana: Lyrics: Vasant Bapat, Music: G. N. Joshi
2. Mukya manache Bol: Lyrics: Vasant Bapat, Music: G. N. Joshi
This one I often heard my mother sing. It was pretty famous I guess. A non-flim duet sung with Arun Date. Lyrics: Mangesh Padganvakar. Music: Shrinivas Khale. There is her another duet- Hat tujha Hatatun.
Ekda ayeun ja: The song is from movie Saptpadi, and is probably the only Marathi song by Mukesh. Music: Gajanan Shirke, Dwarkanath Bhosle.
Kishore Kumar sung about just three Marathi songs, that too in late 1980’s. Here is one, Ashwini Ye Na, from the movie Gammat Jammat (1987). It’s a duet with Anuradha Paudwal and which I think was a hit. Lyrics: Shantaram Nandgawnkar, Music: Arun Paudwal. The other two songs you can enjoy here.
There are about four-five of his songs. Two of them are posted here.
1. Yash he amrut zale: Reportedly Talat Mehmood was awarded the Best Marathi singer by the Government of Maharashtra for this song. Movie: Putra Vhava Asa, Lyrics: P. Savlaram, Music: Vasant Prabhu.
2. Hasale Aadhi Kuni: Here’s another. A duet with Asha Bhosle, from movie Molkarin. Lyrics: P. Savlaram, Music: Vasant Desai.
There are quite a handful (about 9-10). I am inserting here just couple of these.
1. Mi dolkar daryacha raja: This is a non-film song and was a huge hit. My mother tells me that they heard it almost everywhere possible. It might be known to you since it is quite a famous Koli song. Lyrics: Shanta Shelke, Music: Pt. Hridaynath Mangeshkar.
2. Gomu sangteena: This one too is a duet, this time with Asha Bhosle from the movie Ha Khel Savalyancha. Lyrics: Sudhir Moghe, Music: Pt. Hridaynath Mangeshkar.
7. MANNA DEY:
This is a long list. I am posting here just two songs.
1. Ghan ghan mala nabhi datlya: This is from the movie Vardakshina. Lyrics: G. D. Madgulkar & Music: Vasant Pawar.
2. Preeti mhanje kay: This one is a duet with Asha Bhosle, from the movie Juna Te Sone. Lyrics: G. D. Madgulkar & Music: Datta Davjekar.
The other songs are available here:
8. MOHD. RAFI:
Mohd. Rafi is simply, without a doubt my favourite singer. So I am posting here three of his Marathi songs, even though the list is not too long. Most of the Marathi songs by Mohd. Rafi are under the music direction of Shrikant Thackrey and are non-film based. The Lyrics of first two are by Vandana Vitankar and last one is penned by Umakant Kanekar.
As far as the leading Hindi singers of the golden era are concerned, Mahendra Kapoor has sung the maximum number of Marathi songs. And they became quite famous. Just four of them are posted here. All others you can find on this link.
1. Sur tech chedita: The first one is from Movie Apradh. Lyrics: Madhusudan Kalelkar, Music: N. Dutta.
2. Ratris Khel chale: This one is from movie Ha Khel Savlayancha (Game of shadows). Lyrics: Sudhir Moghe, Music: Pt. Hridaynath Mangeshkar.
3. He chincheche zad dise maj: Third one is quite a famous song. The movie is Madhuchandra (Honeymoon literally). Lyrics: G. D. Madgulkar, Music: N. Dutta.
4. Pahat zali utha-utha: Last one is from movie Angai. Lyrics: Jagdish Khebudkar. Music: Ram Kadam.
Twist in tale:
As said in the beginning the songs of Lata Mangeshkar & Asha Bhosle are included only for reasons mentioned herein. So, the twist in tale is that here Lata Mangeshkar’s songs are been included in her capacity as a music director.
Lata Mangeshkar as Music Director:
Lata Mangeshkar gave music to Marathi movies under the pseudonym of Anandghan (it means cloud of joy, I say without doubt). The number of these movies can be counted on finger tips. Actually just about five, namely, Ram Ram Pavhana, Tambdi Mati, Saadhi Manse, Maratha Tituka Melvava, Mohityanchi Manjula. All songs from all these movies were and still are quite famous. Here I am posting just a couple of these.
1. Malyacha malya mandi: From the movie Sasdhi Manse. Lyrics: Yogesh.
2. Reshmachya reghani: A Lavni sung Asha Bhosle under her sister’s music direction. Movie: Maratha Tituka Melvava, Lyrics: Shanta Shelke.
I call it a role reversal, since we have always heard Lata Mangeshkar singing under music direction of C. Ramchandra. But this is a duet where C. Ramchandra sings with Lata ji in her music direction. Song- Mazya shetat sonacha piktay. Movie: Ram Ram Pavhana, Lyrics: P. Savlaram.
And since we have included all the prominent Hindi singers of the golden era, why leave Suman Kalyanpur. Though there are numerous songs to choose from I chose this particular one because of the lyricist or rather the poetess- Bahinabai Chaudhari. Bahinabai Chaudhari (1880-1951) was a farmer from Maharashtra. She could not read or write, but had a great gift for putting her experience and wisdom into words. Her son after listening to these poems, wrote them down and later published a collection. This song is from movie Manini. Music: Vasant Pawar.
I just couldn’t resist it when I came across this song. A Hindi song by a prominent Marathi singer/ composer. Sudhir Phadke is unarguably an icon of Marathi films and music. I knew his association with Hindi films only as the music director of Bhabhi Ki Chudiyan and Pehli Taarikh. But I had no idea that he sang a few Hindi songs as well. Since this is the first one I came across, this is the one I am posting. Movie: Aanchal (1960), Lyrics: Kavi Pradeep, Music: C. Ramchandra.
Now if this was a Hindi song list, there would not have been a specific need for asking feedback. But to this one I really need a fair and critical feedback. You see I have two more such ideas in pipeline.
Please also share songs in any other language sung by these singers, that you know about.
DISCLAIMER: The videos/ songs linked/ embedded herein above from YouTube are only for the purpose of entertainment and pleasure of viewers/ readers. The copyright over the songs/ videos/ films rests with the owners/ producers of the respective movies.